President Bola Tinubu has criticised former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar’s proposal to restore fuel subsidy if elected president in 2027, describing it as evidence of “serious ignorance on governance and economy.”

Tinubu made the remark while receiving Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, at the State House in Abuja.

Atiku, the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), had earlier on Thursday said he would restore fuel subsidy if elected president in the 2027 election.

He also accused the Tinubu administration of failing to account for the savings from the removal of the subsidy introduced by the government after assuming office in May 2023.

Reacting to the proposal, Tinubu defended the decision to remove the subsidy, arguing that the country’s resources should be redirected towards infrastructure and essential services.

“Let’s look at the trajectory of the history. I saw one of my opponents, now say he will go back to subsidy. I read it. That is demonstration of a serious ignorance on governance and economy,” the President said.

Tinubu recalled the financial difficulties faced by several states before his administration came into office, particularly their inability to meet salary and pension obligations.

“Before I came here, 27 states were unable to pay salaries, not to even talk of pensioners, salary of workers,” he said.

The President said rather than returning to subsidy payments, government resources should be invested in projects and services capable of improving the lives of Nigerians.

He listed quality roads, housing, education and healthcare among areas that should receive greater attention from government.

The exchange came during Adeleke’s first meeting with Tinubu since the governor was re-elected in the August 15 Osun State governorship election.

The Independent National Electoral Commission declared Adeleke the winner after he secured 511,067 votes, defeating the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, who polled 444,815 votes.